04 August 2006

The blood is the life

Prompted by my friend's premature baby (see Jamie and Tom) and my mum's constant nagging I decided to start giving blood. The first time I went was 3 months ago and I was amazed at the high level of precautions taken to ensure the well being of the donors and the safety of the donations. I was also disappointed that the needle slipped and I was only able to give half a bag which is at least enough for lab use.

The second time I went was yesterday and I thought I was going to fail again. I flinched as the needle went in and they were forced to remove the needle and could not use that arm again in that session. I also acquired a fantastic bruise (shown below). They wanted to give up but I was so desperate to give my first full donation that I insisted. They swapped arms, made me sign a new set of consent forms, got a new bag and called in their senior donor carer who apparently has 20 years of being a nurse and sticking needles in people. 10 minutes and no discomfort later I had given a lovely fresh pint of O+. Hooray.

One of the frightening facts about blood donations is that the stocks of blood are always so low. At the time of writing the national blood service has only enough O+ to last 3.8 days. Without sufficient stocks of blood care of serious injuries at A&E units as well as many operations would be impossible. Yet only 5-6% of people who are eligible to give blood actually do so. I am ashamed that I took so long to start giving blood and fully intend to continue for as long as I can.

Btw the people at donation centers are always as friendly and helpful as possible. Donors are volunteering their time and effort and this is very much appreciated. I urge anyone reading this who can give blood and doesn't to at least consider becoming a donor. The National Blood Service have a great web site with lots of info. Now for the bruise (which doesn't hurt at all).


2 comments:

Sharon said...

Ouch!

Anonymous said...

The Brusies come with the territory I'm afraid, but I always claim it's something cool like I've been in the wars with a gang of hoodlems and "you should see the other guy" type thing - although I don't think I'm convincing anyone :-)

The worse part for me is that everytime the nurse moans that I have tiny vains and gets someone more experienced to do it, which never inspires confidence, but it rarely hurts, although always leaves a purple blackish bruise, kinda like the one you have at the moment.

Anyway - I think well done for going again, it is scary that only 5-6% donate.
Maybe we should get your Mother to "Nag" on TV to get more donors ??? (Only Joking - she doesn't know where I live does she ?)