04 September 2006

Finding a new coke dealer

I have decided to stop drinking products from Coca Cola. The reasons are two fold. Firstly that much diet coke cannot be good for me and I think I was developing a mild caffeine addiction. Secondly I have learned about some of the things the coca cola corporation, it's affiliates and contractors have done. These include: -

  • Hiring paramilitary death squads to murder and torture union members at bottling plants in Colombia.
  • Causing local water shortages in regions of India.
  • Selling lead and cadmium bearing toxic factory byproducts as fertilizer.
  • Selling tap water as mineral water.
  • Cutting donations to schools that fail to sell enough fizzy drinks to their pupils.
  • Creating that awful red and white Santa Claus image.
  • Using 3 litres of water to make every litre of coke.
I have to say that giving up drinking the products made by Coca Cola has proved a bit of a wrench but a friend has introduced me to Whole Earth Organic Cola and it certainly helping. Whole Earth Cola contains all natural ingredients and doesn't taste bad. Unfortunately it is not helping my caffeine cravings.

If Coca Cola can demonstrate any of the above fact are incorrect I will happily correct them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caffiene's OK in moderation. I read on a webpage the other day that the caffeine RDA was 2g, which seems a bit high to me, but there you go.

Sugary fizzy drinks not only rot your teeth, but the bubbles also significantly scour and erode them. I ditched fizzy drinks and now drink just water and get my caffiene from ProPlus caffiene tablets. I take two 50mg tablets every morning and that's me awake. Rarely do I have to take an extra tablet, and only when I've been getting less and less sleep do I go further and take a fourth.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with a bit of caffeine addiction !

Look at me - completely stable

Antony said...

Whatever you do, don't get the RDA confused with the LD50 :-) The LD50 for caffiene is I think 24g - this is the dose that will kill 50% of people taking it. The ratio between the dose required to achieve whatever the drug is meant to achieve, and the LD50 is quite telling - for paracetomol it's about 8, for caffeine about 50, and for cannabis it's in the region of 10,000. Not sure about nicotine, but I did read somewhere that there's enough in a pack of fags to kill a blue whale; either whales are intolorent to nicotine or most of it gets burnt when smoking.

Anonymous said...

Two drops of pure nicotine can kill an elephant.

Something to think about should you want to kill an elephant and get it right because, well, they'd never forget a thing like that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Colin, long time no speak!

I tried to give up Diet Coke a while back and went through horrible withdrawal symptoms for a few days.

It wasn't long before I forgot that I didn't drink it anymore, and now I'm back to drinking it all the time...

*Sigh* having read your blog entry I might well give it up again. If what you've said IS true, then the last place I want my money to go to is Coca-Cola!