03 January 2007

The blood is even more life.

As anyone who reads my blog (if anyone does) will probably know I became a blood donor about 8 months ago. Unfortunatley my company did not allow people to give blood during working hours or expected them to make up the time. This seemed a little unfair to me and here's why: -

After subtracting public and personal holidays we work about 45 5-day-weeks a year at 7 hours a day. This is 225 days (or 1575 hours) a year. You can only give blood 3 times a year and each donation takes about an hour. This averages out to about 48 seconds per day and saves lives.

Compare this to the 15-20 minutes a day smokers are allowed away from their desks to give themselves cancer and you can probably see my point.

Fortunatley the company I work for is very good at listening to it's staff and I decided to try changing this policy. After a few meetings and a lot of waiting they have finally decided to allow staff time away from work to give blood. I hope that once I everyone knows this then we will have a few more blood donors in the company and save some lives. I might even be able to get some friends to join me the next time I donate

1 comment:

Kevlets said...

I will join you next time. Nice one Colin.