05 February 2007

My new photograpic career

I recieved an email last weekend from one of the editors of Wikipedia. They had seen one of my photos on flickr and wanted to use it for an article on the Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon ship burial. My photo was of the re-assembled shield fittings and was taken at the British Museum. If your interested you an see the article here. My photo is just under half way through the document and is of a white circular replica of the shield with the original fittings. If you click on the image you will see an enlarged version with my credits underneath.

I know that Wikipedia conatins millions of images from millions of people. However being asked by someone at Wikipedia to allow my picture to be used was quite a thrill. Like most people who write blogs, post images to flickr or videos to YouTube (I do all three), I just do it because I want to share my thoughts or pictures with the world. However it is always a pleasant surprise when someone from a distant part of the world gets back to you and says the saw your post, picture, etc and liked it.

No comments: