30 August 2009

Holiday in Cambodia pt3

Unfortunately my time in Cambodia is drawing to a close. I just checked out of my hotel and am now sitting in the bar spending a couple of hours relaxing before a car arrive to take me to the airport.

Cambodia is an amazing place and I would recommend it to anyone. It is true that it is still recovering from it's tragic history and there is incredible poverty. However there amazing sights and the people are very warm and friendly. The temples of Angkor are vast and breathtaking. A couple of stats I picked up while I was here.

  • An estimated 40,000 elephants were used during the construction of the temples.
  • The Angkor Wat has an estimated mas of approximately 3,600,000,000 tonnes
The best advice I can give to anyone visiting the temples is not to take money or at least to claim you have no money. If the locals selling souvenirs see you buy anything they will swarm on you like piranha. They refuse to take no for an answer, will rip you off if possible and will try to sell you something even if you bought something off them 5 seconds before. The best place I found for tourist shopping looking for unusual gifts is the night market at Siem Reap. Less pressure, lots of variety and much fairer prices.

Unfortunately I managed to sprain my ankle while trekking back from Kbal Spean yesterday but it is already feeling better.

In a little over an hour my Car arrives to take me to the air port and then it's on to the excitement and bustle of Bangkok

I will blog again after looking around

Here is picture of me at the Angkor Wat

No comments: