31 August 2009

Holiday in Thailand pt1

I arrived in Thailand yesterday and was hit by an immediate culture shock. Even in the cities Cambodia is pretty quiet. Bangkok is a vast bustling metropolis by comparison. The traffic is chaotic and full of mor large cars, buses and huge 4x4's.

Today I headed out and hired a tuktuk for 60Baht an hour to take in some of the sights. The Cambodian tuktuk is a calm, sedate and civilised affair. Almost like taking a cruise. The Bangkok tuktuk is painted in bright colours, has a set of rear indicators and brake lights inside in front of the passengers face and they go at brakeneck speeds with the engine going at about 5 billion rpm. The effect is like riding pillion on a funfair ride.

At one of the temples I paid for a guide who spent about half an hour taking me round the temple of Wat Benchamobophit. Unfortunatly he was almost incomprehensible except for his repeated stories of how he used to be a kickboxer in his youth.

I also (after recieving the advice of several people) went to an export tailors where I got measured up for a couple of suits at a ludicrously low price. As I am going to a wedding soon and needed a new suitit seemed like a good idea. I am part happy and part regretting it oh well.

Here is Thailands largest sitting Buddha It is very large and covered in 24c gold leaf


No comments: